O-1 Visa

O-1 Visa Lawyer in San Francisco

Working with Hopeful Immigrants throughout California

For those with a strong aptitude in a given field, there may be an option to obtain an O-1 visa. These work visas allow individuals who have been identified as highly gifted to stay in the country for an initial period of three years before renewing their visa for up to one more year. The Law Office of Zhang has the experience and insight to help you apply for an O-1 visa and get started on the immigration process.

To schedule a consultation with our San Francisco attorney, dial (415) 761-2732 now or contact us online. We offer service in English, Mandarin, and can serve Spanish speakers upon request.

What Is an O-1 Visa?

In specialized fields such as science, mathematics, athletics, business, or entertainment, enterprises often look for people to work with them throughout the world. The O-1 visa makes it possible for those people to have work opportunities and gain more experience in their field. With the help of an experienced San Francisco lawyer on your side, you can better navigate the complicated process of filling out and submitting the necessary paperwork.

In order to obtain an O-1A visa for skill in a scientific field, the applicant must demonstrate that they are:

  • Recognized either nationally or internationally for their achievements
  • Known as top-level experts of a given field
  • Published on a subject
  • Regularly contracted for their specialized skills
  • Uniquely capable of certain functions

Does the O-1 Visa Lead to a Green Card?

The O-1 visa will allow you to live and work in the U.S. for long periods of time, however, it does not lead to a green card. The O-1 is a temporary nonimmigrant visa and may be renewed multiple times, however, it cannot lead to permanent residency in the United States. In order to do so, you must change from a nonimmigrant classification to an immigrant one, such as an employment-based visa category (EB-1, EB-2, or EB-3) or a family-based one. You can do this via adjustment of status or applying for an immigrant visa.

Different Visas for Different Skills

The O-1 visa is not only for those with a high aptitude in science — the O-1B visa is geared more toward those who work in the arts in some capacity. For example, if you are an internationally recognized painter who wishes to spend some time teaching in the United States, you may be eligible for this visa.

Other O-1 related visas include:

  • O-2 visas – For individuals accompanying O-1 visa holders to the U.S., this visa allows them to occupy the role of an assistant by offering the skills necessary to help them fulfill their duties. For example, if an artist has a team with them to assist in production, those assistants may be able to obtain this visa
  • O-3 visas – Spouses or children of O-1 and O-2 visa holders can apply for these visas

Get the help of a reliable immigration attorney by dialing (415) 761-2732 today. We serve all of California.

  • “Emma is extremely knowledgeable and experienced in immigration law.”

    - Jia Y.
  • “Everything this firm and Emma did for me and my wife was excellent.”

    - Matthew B.
  • “Emma is a great immigration lawyer and a great human being.”

    - Brownie L.

Collaborate With Us Today

Schedule Your Consultation
  • Please enter your first name.
  • Please enter your last name.
  • Please enter your phone number.
    This isn't a valid phone number.
  • Please enter your email address.
    This isn't a valid email address.
  • Please make a selection.
  • Please enter a message.